Tuesday, May 28, 2013

playlists and listening

For the last month, it's been the usual back-&-forth between Burlington and Boston, a groove that I've become accustomed to recently, but also one that will change somewhat when my lease here ends on 8/1. Aside from 4 Roma gigs in the last 8 days, nothing too out of the ordinary is happening. As mentioned in previous posts, I've been thinking about going back alot recently - looking at old journals, and generally mulling over what I actually did when I was studying. Living in Burlington has been fantastic for practical and personal reasons. I've been really engaged in the musical activities of this community, and basically learning the ropes of a new place. for a couple years, I kept asking "What could I do in a new place?" and what would I be able to teach myself in that process. Learning to budget is an ever-evolving process, as is learning to cook, network, and a whole bunch of other things.

I've come to the conclusion in the last month or so that my days in Burlington are numbered. I will leave shortly after my lease ends, put the 9 small boxes of stuff I have into storage, and make another move. I'll always come back here, but I know now that I need to be in a much larger place to pursue the living I really want to make, artistically and otherwise.

In looking over the last 8 years or so, one thing I've recently wanted to do was make a (fairly partial) list of the music I listened to during that time. I feel like laying this out will be interesting. There will definitely be omissions, but here's some sort of list:

Pre-College:
Scott Joplin rags
John Cage - Living Room Music
J.S Bach Brandenburg Concerti
Terry Riley - In C
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um 
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
Mussourgsky/Ravel - Pictures at an Exhibition
Duke Ellington - The Mooche 
Igor Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring

2005-06: 
Paul Hindemith - Piano Sonatas, brass works
Luciano Berio - Sinfonia 
Fredric Rzewski - Les Moutons de Panurge  
Ralph Vaughan Williams - Requiem
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Leonin/Perotin - Magnus Liber 
Samuel Barber - Knoxville: Summer of 1915
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians 
Bela Bartok - Mikrokosmos 
Edgard Varese - Hyperprism 

2006-07:
Wynton Marsalis - Blood on the Fields
Tom Waits - Big Time 
Philip Glass - Einstein on the Beach 
Tim O'Brien - Songs from the mountain 
Bjork - Debut
Pete Williams - I've Grown So Ugly
Brian Eno - Music for Airports 
Branford Marsalis - Requiem 
Morton Feldman - Cello and Orchestra
Art Ensemble of Chicago - Reese & the Smooth Ones

2007-08:
Ba-Benzale Pygmies
Banda Pygmies
Anton Webern - Concerto op.24 
Fred Frith - Massacre 
John Zorn - Naked City
Sun Ra - Supersonic Jazz
Boban Markovic - Boban i Marko
Ran Blake - Wende 
Gyorgi Ligeti - Viola Sonata
Peter Brotzmann - Be Music, Night

2008-09:
Thai Brass
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party
Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn?
Steve Lacy - The Way
Frank Carlberg - The American Dream
Jonathan Harvey - Flight Elegy
Lake Street Dive
Charles Ives - General William Booth Enters Into Heaven
Anthony Braxton - Quartet (Dortmund) 1976
Anthony Coleman - Pushy Blueness

2009-10:
Cecil Taylor - Unit Structures
Christian Wolff - Burdocks
Cornelius Cardew - The Great Learning
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Stimmung
Olivier Messiaen - Catalogue d'oiseaux 
Balinese Ketjak
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World
The Fluxus Workbook
The Velvet Underground (Banana Album)

2010-11:
Burr Van Nostrand - Voyage in a White Building I
Julius Eastman - Stay On It 
Meridith Monk - Dolmen Music
Robert Cogan - Fierce Singleness 
Muhal Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
Daniel Johnston - Hi How Are You
Roscoe Mitchell - Nonaah
Lee Hyla - Piano Concerto no.2 

2011-12:
Lyle Davidson - Chester
Capsule - L.D.K Lounge Designers Killer
Brian Ferneyhough - Time and Motion Study I
Michael Finnissy - English Country Tunes 
The Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
Harry Partch - Barstow  
Joe Morris & Augusti Fernandez - Ambrosia  
Wadada Leo Smith - Golden Quartet












No comments:

Post a Comment