Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Bailey-Howe Library, the Internet, and Simple(r) Living


The entrance to UVM's Library, behind the Royall Tyler Theatre
I've realized in the last several weeks that one of my patterns is to spend time on the UVM campus to get work done, particularly in their main library. on an average of three or four days a week, you'll find me there.

This is outside of practicing for performances and (now bi-monthly) church jobs. Had I not passed through the entire UVM campus to get to my workplace, I don't think I'd spend as much time there now. It's become a second home, in a way. This is in no small part due to the expanse and open nature of both the library, and the entire campus. And, despite this openness, being in the library and looking out the window is reminiscent of being surrounded by a huge skyline. This is still something I often think about and miss. Indeed, there is a UVM skyline from this view. Doing my work in the Bailey-Howe library is great. There's a built-in cafe where I can access the web with an ethernet cable, and eat when I need to. I usually bring a sandwich, trail mix, and tea. Even when the cafe is closed, people can go behind the counter and fill containers with hot water. I've yet to pull an all-nighter, but that area is open 24/7.

The UVM skyline
More recently, I've been taking advantage of their book collection. I can't check books out, but I can read whatever I want when I'm there. This being a university, what I'm about to say might sound silly, but a great epiphany of mine was to look around and realize, "Wow. I could read about almost anything from the books they have here."

Another realization I had, though quite a long time ago, is that I don't have alot of stuff. Aside from the two plastic drawers I own and two small-ish tubs of clothing, I'm looking around my room, and can count 4 small to mid-sized moving boxes. Most of them haven't been unpacked, and they contain only books, CD's, and sheet music. I now own only two brass instruments, and a small chord organ. The organ lives in a suitcase, which also contains most of my handwritten scores. From 2011 until recently, most of my music was handwritten. I put some things into finale during that time, but only when I found it difficult to read when handwritten (vocal music mostly), or if it was for a large group of people (the one wind ensemble piece I've written in recent history).

I work as a music copyist and arranger, and in January I bought a second laptop to better facilitate this work. The laptop was owned by a friend, and had all of the software I needed to do my work. With that  computer came a whole lot of extra GB's of storage. Because of that storage, I'm currently transferring my CD collection to this laptop and backing it up. When this process is complete, I'll be able to let most of my CD's go. There are a few that I want to hang on to, but most of them will go. That's one less box I'll have to deal with.

I'll hang onto a lot of my books, and of course any personal letters that I've received, but I'm sure I can find a way to get rid of some of that mass, or at least fit them into a more efficient box. The content of the plastic drawers is mostly paper. Some of this paper is important, but I imagine I can thin out a good bit. This gets easier every year, and now that I'm not in school, I'm not constantly bringing home tests, packets, or other things that get stored away like this...

The two tubs of clothing have come in handy, but I imagine that they will be replaced rather than expanded over time. The lack of wooden chests is something that continues to make my life easier. The only reason I had to rent a U-Haul trailer to get up here was the size of my mattress, and I'll add that I'm thinking of downsizing to a twin bed (when it's time to leave this town).

My main source for reading has become the library. Anything else, I can dig out of my two boxes of books, or find on the internet. I've still been watching TED talks like a crazy person, and the one below is a good example of something I'm maybe trying to get at (though I know getting rid of what little I have won't solve all of my money issues).


While I'm not trying to be an evangelist for simplification, I'm definitely finding the idea of it beneficial to my state of mind, physical health, and day-to-day dealings. I also think that this will translate to my future. A few years ago I told a roommate that If I had to move tomorrow and start life in a new place, I could. This still rings true, perhaps now with greater volume than ever.













No comments:

Post a Comment