Wednesday, December 26, 2012

"The existence of free music can be understood in part by the study of where it is performed and why it is performed there." 
 - Joe Morris  (The Properties of Free Music) 

The above quote is taken from my teachers book on improvised music. The conditions of the music, its  why and where, are things that I'm particularly interested in documenting, in part through my own experience, in part through conversations with others, and in part through research. I think this will help me figure things out for myself. I'm realizing now that while my performance experiences as a student were valuable, most of them are not relative to the types of things I have done in the last 6 months, and will continue to do for many years. This is something that there are varying degrees of, but it's time for a serious re-evaluation of what I'm doing, where, for who, and how I, and others I associate with enable these things.



No comments:

Post a Comment