Tuesday, August 3, 2010

North Adams Trip/Bang on a Can Concert


About a week ago, Jared Burrell and I set out to North Adams, Massachusetts (3 1/2 hours from Boston) to hear an afternoon concert given by the participants at the Bang on a Can summer institute at the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. I had gone to their marathon concert in NY a couple years ago (another long haul from Boston), but this was in a much more remote location, and the experience I had getting there was also remarkably different (this one was favorable).

We drove all the way across the state on Route 2, and considering the scenery, it's at times hard to realize that this is the same route 2 that runs into Downtown Boston. These days, the hills, valleys, and peaks we rode through are much more interesting to me than any city skyline could be. My phone had run out of batteries by the time we met up in Braintree, but I would have taken pictures. The whole ride was really fun. It felt great to be in a car (instead of a bus or a train) and Jared and I always have really good conversations.

North Adams is a town full of abandoned industrial buildings that were converted into artist spaces. I got a really nice feeling from being out there, and if I ever decided to just be a composer (and not perform with anyone) I'd want to call a town like that home.

Upon arriving in North Adams, we had lunch in a coffee shop that served great hamburgers. In Boston, coffee shops don't go anywhere near hamburgers. I like the non-specialization that happens in smaller communities that (although small) have to cater to a wide variety of people.

The concert was in a black box theater with seats that gradually rose like bleachers. On the way home, we discussed what we heard, and came to the conclusion that most of the music was really good, but aesthetically limited. This group was founded by three composers who have similarities in their musical language, and while other concerts that week featured some varied styles and composers, it was clear that most of the composers picked for the institute were chosen for the amount they had in common with each other, and the founding members of the organization. This gave Jared some peace of mind, as he had wanted to be part of the program.

This has to be the only time I'd gone to a Dunkin' Donuts twice in one day, but despite this, things got a little quiet towards the end of our return trip. I think it was because of the lack of sun after 8:30 or so. Jared admittedly tends to miss turns and stuff while driving, and this is made worse in the dark.

I wish he had dropped me off in Cambridge (right off of rt.2) instead of in Braintree, because the red line was running shuttle busses between Quincy Center, and JFK/Umass. This was really strange, but I suppose I took note of some oddly interesting (or just strange) people/streets, and it only added about a half-hour to my entire day.

Overall, I had a great time. I was reminded that my roots are outside of the city, got to spend a day traveling with a friend I've known for ten years, and am happy that I'm working with so many different people and influences.

No comments:

Post a Comment